Happy Fourth of July from the Community Service Center! After a great weekend of fireworks, food and fun, all the coordinators for the 11 focus areas are back and working hard to plan an amazing week of FYSOP! A large emphasis of FYSOP is the connection between different focus areas, something we like to refer to as intersectionality. It’s important to realize that although each focus area is independently powerful and amazing, no real issue in our world lies in only one focus area. With intersectionality, we can combine and connect different focus areas to better understand the big picture and real issues in our society. For example, the Animals and Abilities focus areas connect with the use of service animals that help individuals with a wide range of abilities navigate their everyday lives. By taking these relationships into account we can gain a better understand of all of the focus areas and how they interact in everyday life. Our FYSOP coordinators have been working hard to help community members better understand the bigger picture of intersectionality. Check out their blogs this week, each focus area has posted an entry on how intersectionality relates to the work we do!
Program Dates: FYSOP 26 will run from Monday, August 24 through Friday, August 28, 2015. To see a sample FYSOP schedule and timeline, click here! Please note that this is a sample schedule, and the FYSOP 26 schedule is subject to change.
Register for FYSOP 26: Incoming first-year students can apply to be a volunteer with FYSOP 26 here!
Focus Areas: To learn more about our focus areas, click here. and work with our friends at Orientation to welcome you all to campus throughout the summer.
We are super excited to greet the 850 FYSOP participants shipping up to Boston University in just two days. As you prep for next week, check out the following links in mind for helpful information:
- Check out our pre-departure packet, for all the information you’d want to know about FYSOP 24, particularly about move-in, social media, and the issue areas.
- Our travel itinerary eventbrite page is now closed. If you have not yet filled it out to let us know how you will be getting to Boston University, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All FYSOP participants must fill out a travel itinerary in order to participate.
- Our new website: fysop.com has officially been launched! Please use this as a resource for the most up-to-date schedules, move-in information, and social media updates.
- For answers to FAQs, check out the FAQs page on our website.
- To learn more about your issue area, check out the issue area blogs, linked to our blog.
Cannot wait to meet each of you! See you at the George Sherman Union plaza (775 Commonwealth Ave.) on Monday!
With FYSOP less than two weeks away, we’re getting really excited to meet you all and to get started on a great week of service and fun. We’ve prepared a pre-departure packet with everything you need to know about the program. Take a look at it and download it on your smartphones for easy access.
If you have any last minute questions about FYSOP, give us a call at 617-353-4710 or email us at email@example.com.
Enjoy the last days of summer!